Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Fall Fun

There is a lot of fun during Fall. Pumpkin carvings, corn mazes and one Alyssa forgot... Flu shots!

I call this one our before pic! Alyssa knew what was coming...

Keira didn't... see how happy?! They were too distraught for the after pics. I was (politely) told not to take a picture. Just know... they were not happy with me after this. But seriously, Keira has some kind of reaction to the flu shot. Her leg get huge , red and swollen. I think this may be her last one. She just kept rubbing her leg for three days saying "my leg hurts, owie" =( I really hate shots.

We made up for the flu shots though. Daddy helped carve a pumpkin with Alyssa.

Keira wanted to help with the picture only. Both the girls didn't like the inside of the pumpkin.

What would fall be without Sugar cookies. Yum!
I love Keira's big smile!
Ohhhhh.... I have been inspired by my neighbor Brooke. She is always posting such yummy dinners. So I was brave and made this yummy 3-meat Chili I found on one of her links. Nothing better than warm chili on a cold Fall night. Yum! I'll post the recipe. I wanted to serve it in a bread bowl... but I made the mistake of grocery shopping on a Saturday afternoon. They were sold out of everything! Anyway, get brave, try it out... it's yummy!
Chili in Bread Bowls
From Taste of Home
SERVINGS 9
CATEGORY: Main Dish
METHOD: Slow Cooker
PREP: 15 min.
COOK: 420 min. (I cooked my meat all the way & then cooked it on high in the crock-pot for 3 hours)
TOTAL: 435 min.
INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 pound each lean beef stew meat, boneless skinless chicken breast and boneless pork, cut into cubes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped*
1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15-1/2 ounces) navy beans or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce (I added a bit more, I didn't want it to be dry)
1 tablespoon chili powder (I didn't have everything... so I improvised, a bit.)
1 garlic clove, minced
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
9 large hard rolls
Sour cream, chopped green onions and sweet red pepper, optional

DIRECTIONS
In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add meat in batches; toss to coat. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker with a slotted spoon. Stir in onion, peppers, tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until the meat is tender. Cut tops off rolls; carefully hollow out bottom halves. Spoon about 1 cup of chili into each roll. Garnish with sour cream, onions and red pepper if desired. Yield: 9 servings.

8 comments:

Woodbury Fam said...

Flu Shots are aweful! Ben never even flinches, but my girls just freak out.

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I'll have to try that recipe. Thanks for the fun post. I want to eat some of those sugar cookies!

Julie said...

That chili sounds really yummy. I might try and make that soon. Oh, and I'm really impressed that you already got your kids flu shots. That's too bad that Keira had a reaction to it. I love the cute pumpkins that Shane helped them do.

Haley said...

Um . . . YUM! I'm making it tomorrow and I'm afraid I'm going to have to blog stalk your friend Brooke from now on.

Love the family pictures Myra! Shane's sister did a great job!

Brooke said...

Myra, I'm so proud of you for posting a yummy recipe!! Awesome! I have some more to come very soon. I'm still recuperating from this vacation.. Tell your friend haley my food blog site.

DeDee said...

What a fun Grandma! Your dinner looked great...way to go!

Ali said...

Hi Myra! I am so glad that you found my blog so I could see yours! Your family is adorable!

Nick and Deanne said...

Love the family pictures! Your girls are so beautiful.